facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause
%POST_TITLE% Thumbnail

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau reminder about the non-filer tool for Economic Impact Payments

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau issued a notice today reminding older non-tax filing caretakers of children age 0-16 to use the special non-filer tool to prevent a delay receiving the additional $500 Economic Impact Payment for each child in their care. Quoting from the notice:

If you are one of the millions of older adults caring for dependent grandchildren or other young relatives under the age of 17, you may qualify for an additional Economic Impact Payment from the Federal Government of $500 per child. The government is beginning to make payments, so act quickly to receive the funds in a single payment. Otherwise, you may be required to file a tax return.

If you don’t file a tax return or haven’t filed your 2019 taxes, here’s what you need to know:

  • If you receive Social Security retirement (SS), survivor or disability benefits (SSDI), or Railroad Retirement benefits (RRB) and you weren’t required to file taxes in 2018 or 2019, use the special non-filer tool to submit information about children in your care by noon Eastern Time, Wednesday, April 22.
  • If you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and weren’t required to file taxes in 2018 or 2019, use the special non-filer tool by the end of April to receive child payments. If you’re a non-filer with eligible children and receive Veterans’ Assistance (VA) benefits, submit this information as soon as possible.
  • If you plan to file 2019 taxes, you may be able to claim children under 17 on your return to receive an additional Economic Impact Payment.

People who receive SSI, Social Security, retirement, survivors, disability insurance, VA, or Railroad retirement benefits will automatically receive individual payments.

If your spouse lives with you, doesn’t receive these federal benefits, and didn’t file taxes in 2018 or 2019, provide information about them as well. After the IRS sends out your individual payment, you’ll need to file a return to receive the additional payment for children under 17 or a non-filing spouse who doesn’t receive federal benefits.

Visit consumerfinance.gov/coronavirus for more resources.

To read Julie Jason's books, go to https://juliejason.com/books/julies-books.